- Pokie is our dog. She is 3/4 Great Pyrenees and 1/4 Saint Bernard. She was born Christmas Eve 1997, making her just over a year old now! We have had her since she was 5 weeks old (too young, yes, but that is when we got her). She has made herself at home and is very much part of our lives. Anywhere we go, she goes. We had to get a van because our little Toyota couldn't deal with all the stuff for traveling with a dog and 2 kids! Between the dog crate, food, stroller, playpen, carseats and clothes there was no room for all the stuff, forget about the people! Actually, the car was a bit crowded with all the kid stuff before we ever added the dog!
- She was the smallest puppy in the litter, a couple of the bigger ones were really cute, and I had originally gone intending on getting a male and a larger puppy. I wanted a dog that would be just like my mother's old dog, who was a great dog. Instead, I come home with a female and the runt.
- We went that day originally just to look at the puppies and pick one out, then we would go back a couple weeks later and pick "him" up. We got there and discovered that the momma had died, chicken bones lodged inside, and a couple of the puppies had died because they were put straight on dry food when the momma had died and they choked. I decided to go ahead and take mine home then, that way I knew whatever happened was my responsibility not their's.
Pokie and my kids are best friends. Here are some pictures of the bunch:
- Pokie playing with Thumper (the cat) on the bed. Pokie is about 3 1/2 months old here. It was one of the last times the cat tried to play with her!
Great Pyrenees are wonderful dogs, but please don't get one because you think Pokie is cute or her puppy pictures are cute. They are large dogs and need proper training and handling (trust me, I know!). Please check out the following websites if you think you want a Great Pyrenees:
Great Pyrenees Club of America Pyrenean Fanciers of the NorthEast Great Pyrenees Club of California Pyrs of the Realm
- ...I love my dog dearly, but she is a handful and not a dog for someone who is not 100% committed!
- I hope you've enjoyed looking at the development of my puppy! I think she's awful cute. She is the sweetest, best tempered dog you could ever ask for. She has been great with my kids and even my husband (who isn't a dog person) will grudgingly admit that he loves her!
Please make sure you go visit the other links to Pyr sites if you are interested in dogs! The four I listed have links to hundreds of other Pyr and dog in general sites!
Email me and let me know what you thought of my site! graphics provided by: